Total Pageviews

Monday, December 12, 2011

Saturday I Occupied Sonoyta Mexico

Early Saturday morning we headed to Sonoyta, a border town 3 hours southwest of Phoenix. We went to do mission work for a small orphanage.  I didn't know what I was doing but felt a call to go. The whole day was life-changing and really gave me a new perspective.  When I saw the children, my heart broke and opened all at the same time.  The orphanage was in many ways falling apart.  I've never seen poverty like I did in that town. Still, there was an appreciation in many people's smiles. Not sure what they appreciated. Maybe life. Maybe love. Overall, there seemed to be a sense of simple contentment.  They also seemed to know that they were loved as did many of the folks we met.

It appeared that there was much less association of money with success.  I couldn't help but think of the USA. How so many of us seem less appreciative and have so much more material wealth and financial security.  The children were playing in the dirt and it didn't matter. There had food, clothing and some form of shelter and that was enough.  We brought lots of things to help them have a more abundant Christmas. A simple meal was cooked by volunteers and freely offered to all of us and anyone else on the street that was hungry.  Many orphans are a result of druggie parents etc. Others are there because their parents have immigrated illegally across the border and were unable or unwilling to come back and get them. I couldn't help but see the irony that so many are risking their lives to come to the US and most of us are sick of our country and occupying many cities in revolt.

While we were there, we took part in a celebration that included giving gifts to the children and spreading the message of Jesus Christ to anyone open to becoming "saved".  I couldn't help but laugh at that irony because I'm agnostic and am not even sure if Jesus existed other than in myth.  Still, it didn't matter what it was disguised as, the love and compassion that was given and felt was amazing. I was on the verge of tears the whole day but held it in to be present to the children, make sandwiches for the attendees and serve in whatever way I could.  Most of the day I just played with the kids and made them laugh.

My Spanish is not very good so I did my best to communicate with the children.  Still, the language of love, compassion and care seemed to be what everyone was speaking the most.  I got back to my car in AZ at 11pm.  The minute I said goodnight and left the others, I burst into tears.  I felt so many emotions: sadness, love, compassion, connection, guilt, emptiness, loss, confusion, etc.  The Mexican people reminded me that I somehow lost the simple purity that I once had. Yes I am grateful for all the wealth I have known AND it not only never gave me what I really needed, it also immunized me a bit to what was really important in life.  I know that I went there to share my love, time and service with the children but I really feel like I received more than I gave.

The next time I feel any lack in my life, or the urge to complain, I will remember those simple, smiling, loving faces and remember how blessed I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment