Total Pageviews

Sunday, November 6, 2011

Americans Unite!!!

The older I get, the less polar I find myself becoming.  Most of my life, I have resonated more with the Democratic platform and as a result, have found myself often baffled by and judgmental of those who didn't.  Most of the people in our lives are liberals too.   Still, both Angelina's and my biological family are mostly conservative so in order to have an awesome relationship with them, I needed to open up a bit.  A funny note...recently while spending a week with Angelina's parents,  we joked to ourselves when each TV was tuned in to Bill.  Bill O'Reilly downstairs and Bill Maher upstairs.

I have found myself more and more repelled by judgmental Liberals.  Of course I've always been repelled by judgmental Conservatives.   In the last few years, as I hit midlife, I find myself more and more relating to conservativism.  Recently I met a man that I really resonated with and after many hours of talk, he said he was a Republican.  I was like, "really, please tell me your political views".  Well, after a few minutes it became clear that he was open minded and addressed each idea individually.  He sounded more Red, White and Blue to me, which is what I've identified with for the last few years. 

I guess what I'm feeling more and more is that these polar platforms are keeping us separate.  Often, a choice in politics, lifestyle, diet etc is just an opportunity for superiority and judgment.  This shows up in many ways like Vegetarian/Omnivore; Liberal/Conservative; Open relationship/Monogamy; Christian/non-Christian; Theist/Atheist; and the list goes on.  Not to mention all the non-choice identities like Black/White; Gay/Straight; etc.  It appears to me that we can usher in the new consciousness of acceptance and harmony most effectively when we embrace what Buddha calls  "the middle path". This doesn't mean we can't promote what we believe in, but to fight for something that has a winner/loser dynamic seems ultimately ineffective.

I say "Americans Unite", add some conservative spice to your liberal soup.  Loosen up your conservative belts.  Have a meal with no animal products now and then.  Open to the idea that humans may be omnivorous. Talk to someone in an open relationship with curiosity and respect. Think of monogamy as something other than a loss of freedom. Open up to the idea that God isn't religious. Open up to the idea that everything is energy and there may be no "supreme being".

I know this is radical but aren't we ready for some radical reform?  What we've been doing certainly hasn't worked very well!!!  Then again, maybe it's all been perfectly orchestrated to get us to where we are right now.  2012, here we come.!!

2 comments:

  1. Armand, there are more Republicrats than you know; they are the silent majority, the yellow dog Democrats who vote with the Republicans; the small business owners overburdened by taxation, regulation(which might be needed by the evil empire, too big to fail corporations)and the unregulated overly powerful unions, who make exorbitant demands for benefits. There does need to be a balance.

    Sending love & light to you & Angelina!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Beth, that is such good news. I guess we've been in the closet. LOL

    ReplyDelete