Total Pageviews

Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Depression and EGO Hate Vipassana Meditation

Today during my morning Vipassana meditation, my old nemesis "depression" came-a-callin'.  I felt myself starting to feel sadness and was being guided to cut my meditation short, give up my morning yoga and workout, and crawl back into bed to process.  I resisted the urge to give in and went to the lake to do my practices. On the way I started crying over a painful amends I had made on Sunday.  After a few minutes of tearful release, I felt better. Then I did my yoga practices and I felt great. 

I realized that "depression" is extremely opportunistic and looks for gateways back into my psyche like H.A.L.T.-hunger, angryness, loneliness and tiredness.  It also can use unreleased sadness or physical pain as an entry point.  It felt really good to nip it in the bud by checking in with my body and emotions and see what was present.  To quote Ram Dass..."I still have all my neurosis'. The difference is, now when they knock on my door, I invite them in for a quick drink before showing them the door to leave."

May We All Be Happy,
May We Find Peace of Mind,
May We All Know the Freedom,
Of Accepting All Life.

2 comments:

  1. Good one, Armand! I use HALT, when I remember, to think twice before overeating. Your blog made me aware that I don't use it enough so I just put it on a postie to put on frig to remind me to HALT & take a moment to tune in and be more mindful. Where did you learn that? I learned from a blog about mindful eating. Love you!

    ReplyDelete